Saturday, July 24, 2010

Did Juneau?

Right now I'm sitting in a beautiful cabin in the middle of the woods in Alaska. The house is dark and everyone is asleep, except for myself. That's probably because I've been doing my very best to avoid going to bed or waking up TOO much off what I would do in Texas. So here I am. Awake and writing because it is still too dark to do anything that doesn't involve computer light. Shall I begin to tell of the adventures galore? Well since I can't hear any protests through my computer screen I'll go ahead and start.

We left Monday evening around 4 to get to the airport. Our flight was scheduled to be at 10:30pm and we were going early in the hopes to go standby for the the 7:30 out of Dallas instead. Did you know they now charge $50 to go standby? Yup. Ridiculous. I mean it kinda makes sense because it keeps the list from being so long and such a hassle, but it kept us from being able to fly out 3 hours earlier so I will continue to be disgruntled with the new rule. Anyway, so we flew out at 10:30pm to Vegas, where we stayed the night at the local Embassy Suites. We had a 7am flight the next morning so it was a rather short night to be sure. Tuesday morning came a little faster than I would have liked. At 7am we took off from Vegas, flew to Seattle, and then from Seattle we went to Juneau.

Okay well I could go through the rest play-by-play style, but I think you'd rather hear just the highlights. Wednesday we went fishing with Hope and our friend from school, Chase Stanton. There is this place called the Hatchery, where all the fish come to spawn and die. So there is a big body of water outside of that, that we fished in. Now you don't really want to keep any of these fish, seeing as they are all coming to die and so they are kinda nasty, so we just caught them and threw them back. I caught 4 Chum salmon on this excursion. It was really fun. I got bled all over by one which was sick, but still fun despite all the nasty. My mom held the record with 5 fish. She was a pro for sure. Now, I say we threw all the fish back...but one didn't make it. This is nasty, so bear with me, but I caught one through his eye. Since he was squirmming more than any of the other fish (I don't know why, maybe because a hook through the eyeball is probably excruciating. But that is just a guess) Chase couldn't get the hook out of his face without killing him. So he had to stomp on him and then get the hook out. That is a sick-nasty story I know, and I'm sorry. Its Alaska. They're rough and tough up here.

Thursday we went hiking up a trail called Perseverance, which was really gorgeous. We ended a this huge beautiful waterfall. Like it is breathtaking how beautiful God makes creation. It's just a glimpse of how beautiful he is, a picture of his majesty. I also think it is funny that us girls more admired the beauty of the waterfall while my dad was admiring the sheer power of it. I think we as humans typically only notice one side of something, like us girls just looking at how beautiful it was and Daddy just seeing the power of it. But when you have more than one person you see more than one perspective. Fellowship is so good because it opens your eyes to things that you would never see or recognize yourself. God is always more than one-sided. He's not just beautiful (which we typically associate with delicate and soft) but he's also so powerful (which we typically associate with rough and tough. Not really delicate or soft at all.). We wouldn't normally put the two together, but he uses little things here on earth, like big, beautiful, powerful waterfalls to give us a glimspe of how the two can be perfectly compatiable.

Friday, so yesterday, we moved into the new house and then hit up downtown for some shopping. After that Hope had her 6 other girls from project over at our new beautiful cabin. We cooked pizzas and sweet potatoes and I at crab straight from the leg. Then we played a game and hit the sack. It's nice just to put faces with all the names Hope has been telling me about. They're all really cool girls so it was fun to get to hang out with them all.

Well that is the scoop. There is so much I'm missing not putting in here, just for the sake of time for the both of us. But if I get to see you anytime soon you can ask and I'll share more stories. And I'm sure pictures will make their way to the internet at some point. Its been a really good trip, just getting to be with most of the fam.

Until next time dear friend.
Psalm 138:6-8
-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment