Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Once upon a time...

The header seemed like a logical way to start this blog. I mean its not exactly going to be full of fairy tail material, but that's the way every good tale starts so I figured I should atleast start it out good, even if it just goes downhill from here. This blog is being born from several factors in my life right now: A) Free time, B) Boredom, C) A desire to be productive, and D) A desire to be responsible. The blog will merely be a collection of thoughts and updates on my goals and how they are going. Its a form of accountibility, though I'm not sure how it will go. It is a test run after all. I hope I can attempt to be witty enough to keep a few people interested in reading. Keep your fingers crossed. I mean that may be too high of a bar. Lets lower the standard a bit; I hope I can be witty enough to even keep myself entertained!

Summer is an interesting time. This one in particular is experiencing a lot of changes within it. To start my brother is now a married man and will be living in Arkansas with his beautiful wife that I love (and that he loves too, of course). Its not the first summer that we've seen little of each other but it is the first of the rest of our lives that we won't be living under the same roof together. Also, today we sent Hope off to Alaska for 10 weeks. I have never spent a summer so far away from her for so long. Actually I've never spent this much time in my entire life so far for so long. I'm so excited for her and just what an incredible trip this will be for her. (P.s-If you haven't sent her support yet...DO IT!! I can get you the address!!) This will also be the first summer in 6 years that I will not be flying somewhere. It'll be the first summer in 4 years that I won't leave the contry. The first summer of the last 4 that I will not be a camp counselor, of the last 7 a VBS leader or a Creative Arts Camp leader. It is Mer-Bear's first full summer at her new dance studio, which keeps her busy as a bee (you like that? Thought of the phrase myself.) All in all it is a lot of changes at once.

After having gone to an old basketball friend's graduation tonight I remembered something that I miss a lot about playing a sport. Excellence. A group of people encouraging, challenging, and striving for both indiviual and group excellence. I realize that excellence is not just in a sport, but it should be in everything I do, as if I'm working for God and not for man. So I figured this summer is a God-given summer to work on growing up. Finally setting goals and following through with them. Its not going to be easy and it'll take discipline (something I tend to lack, which you probably already knew if you are reading this blog) But here is a list of goals I have for this summer time, some silly and more for fun, others more serious. Here it goes:

1. Make A's in Speech and Biology

2. Assign and clean a certain section of the house 5 days of the week

3. Learn to play "Trouble" by Coldplay on the keyboard

4. Take Rosetta Stone French 1 (Bon Jor!)

5. Read all of the Harry Potter books (This is a serious one. Ha. Just kidding. But no really its gonna happen)

6. Memorize Psalm 103

7. Nanny. That in and of itself isn't really the goal, because I'll do that no matter what, but that I will do it with excellence and joy! Without complaining or grumbling.

8. Make door decks for my Pomfret PANDAmonium! (YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!! SO excited)

9. Re-read Screwtape Letters (Take 3! Favorite book. Ever.)

10. Cooking. I'm decent and I do it every now and then but I'd like to be making atleast 1 meal a week ontop of bi-monthly cooking parties with dearest Little Lew (Haley Lewellen, for those who don't know)

So these are the goals. And here is where you come in. Yes you, the reader, I have a little favor to ask of you. I'm not really sure who you are yet, but if you wouldn't mind showing even the slightlest bit of love (or hate, if you so please) and leaving a note just so I know someone, anyone, is reading. I mean its so easy to just forget. I tend to start strong and give up and I need as much help as I can get following through. Its not exactly my strong suit. I hope I can do my part and keep you entertained enough to want to stick around. Only time will tell, eh?

Till next time,
Philippians 1:3-4
-Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Certainly the most entertaining 5 mins of my morning so far!

    ReplyDelete